Chargement ...
Désolé, une erreur est survenue lors du chargement du contenu.

Un Observateur occidental témoigne que Tshis ekedi avait gagné les élections: lisez

  • Communauté Catholique Congolaise de Mont
    Message 1 de 1 , 11 déc. 2011
      DEMOCRACY THWARTED IN THE “DEMOCRATIC” REPUBLIC OF CONGO.
      The Situation in the Congo
      The Democratic Republic of Congo is a developmental disaster. Government supported free primary education does not exist, nor do adequate health services. Civil servants (teachers, police and military forces) are regularly not paid. In some troubled regions of the eastern Congo, unpaid military units present a grave problem for the security of the people there. Horrific violence and continued raping of women in the eastern Congo has continued unabated since the intrusion of “genocidaires” from Rwanda in 1994. Government attempts to stop the plague of violence, even with MONUSCO assistance, have proven to be ineffectual.
      The infrastructure of the DRCongo is a mess. DRC is known to have one of the worst road systems in the continent. Except for a few main paved roads, the capital city of Kinshasa is served by poorly kept dirt roads which turn into mud and pools of water during the rainstorms there. Riding to the airport in a rainstorm can be a nightmare. There are holes in the road so large that if a car inadvertently falls into one of them, all forward motion ceases. In my 40 years of doing development work in Africa, I have never seem such terrible urban roads.
      It is for these reasons that the DRCongo has been ranked the worst in the world by the UN Human Development Index (score=0.286) !
      Incredibly, the DRCongo is one of the richest countries in Africa in terms of mineral wealth. The country abounds in minerals. It has vast amounts of gold, diamonds, cobalt, copper, tin and coltan. Coltan is the mineral required in the manufacture of computers and cell phones and the most of the world’s coltan is found in the DRCongo. The estimates of Congo’s mineral wealth are enormous, being in the order of trillions of dollars. A recent estimate puts it at $34 trillion! In addition the Congo basin has vast wood and water reserves.
      Joseph Kabila, in one position or another, has been in charge of the government of the Congo for the last 10 years. In any truly democratic country, a candidate with such a terrible track record would be easily replaced buy any credible candidate at the polling booth. However this is not what will happen in the “Democratic” Republic of Congo. Joseph Kabila is poised to be declared the next “winner” of the elections there.
      International Election Observations
      I was present as an international observer for the elections in Kinshasa on Nov. 28, 2011.As the member of a larger team, I was able to observe the procedures in my allotted polling booth as well as in several other polling areas. In the voting area where I was, while there were some infractions and irregularities, the procedures in the polling booth were transparent and correct. People voted in secrecy and deposited their ballots in sealed voting boxes. Immediately after the voting was finished, the votes were counted in the same room in the presence of several witnesses. As soon as the votes were counted, as required by government regulations, the results were posted outside of the voting area.  By these means citizens could know what was happening in each voting area. Given the ready access to text messaging (SMS) by cell phones, results could then be rapidly circulated. This is exactly what has happened. Informal voting results were soon circulating throughout in the street.
      In Kinshasa, this is not the kind of result that the government controlled Commission Electorale Nationale Independante (CENI) had wanted. Faced with this situation, CENI has declared that circulating voting results is an illegal activity and all text messages have been blocked throughout the country. To counteract the spread of “illegal” informal voting results, CENI has had to release “official” results bit by bit. On the day that I left, Saturday, Dec.3, 15% of the official results had supposedly come in and were officially released. Kabila at that point was said to have been ahead with 56% of the vote. Informal results published by the opposition parties had Tshisekedi ahead with 54% of the vote.
      One of the strangest things about the government released “official” vote was that they only included results for two voting bureaus in the whole capital city of Kinshasa. This represented 0.02 of 1% of the vote there. They had Kabila receiving 207 votes against Tshisekedi’s 104 votes. Remember that Kinshasa is the capital city with10 million of Congo’s 70 million voters, and it is where the headquarters of CENI is located! The manner in which these early results were being released is very troubling. It seemed quite clear that CENI was preparing the people for a Kabila win.
      I had access to the results from 23 voting bureaus. In all of them Tshisekedi was winning by a landslide. He received 4278 votes against 1367 for Kabila. This sample confirms what is well known – Kinshasa is a Tshisekedi stronghold. Apparently President Kabila knows this also. During the vote counting, he was in the eastern city of Goma.
      Conclusions
      During my time in Kinshasa, the message that I continued to hear was, “We want this situation to change”. The people have experienced 10 years of mismanagement and they are desperately poor. There is alarmingly high unemployment and serious income inequality. A Deputy (M.P.) earns $6000/mon. along with many other privileges. An average civil servant, if he/she is fortunate to even have a paid job earns $50/mon. and many Congolese live on far less than this.
      Congolese also know that they live in a very rich country that is being exploited by others. They know that the international community has a large influence there and could intervene in the situation. They know that president Gbagbo of the Ivory Coast was replaced , they know that Col. Ghaddafi was replaced in Libya, as was Ben Ali in Tunisia and Mubarak in Egypt. They know that even in their own country, Mobutu when he was no longer useful to the West, was ousted. Congolese can only conclude that in their mineral rich country, the western countries are quite happy to allow Kabila to remain in power.
      What can be done?
      Given that the electoral results have been posted at each polling area in the country, the international community should require CENI to corroborate their results with posted polling results. This seems to be the only way to declare that the election has been fair and transparent.
      Eric Schiller
      Ottawa, Dec.9, 2011
    Votre message a été soumis avec succès et sera remis aux destinataires brièvement.